Garden Harvest Spaghetti Squash
I was in the grocery store one day and spotted this interesting looking yellow hard squash, the spaghetti squash. I just had to try it, so I took it home and cooked it according to the label on the squash. I topped it with my favorite vegetables for pasta, and it was a instant family favorite.—Veronica McCann, Columbus, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped leek (white portion only)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup V8 juice
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan; add 1/2 in. of hot water. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-40 minutes. Drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Bake 5 minutes longer or until squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the red pepper, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, leek and carrots in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, V8 juice, pepper and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and herbs; heat through.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Serve with sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup squash with 1 cup sauce: 270 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 751mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 10g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spaghetti Squash Primavera in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.