Spicy Sweet Potato Kale Cannellini Soup
This cross between a soup and a stew fits the meatless Monday bill quite nicely. It warms you right up, and satisfies without leaving you overstuffed.—Marybeth Mank, Mesquite, Texas
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 medium), cubed
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped fresh kale
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Optional toppings: olive oil, giardiniera and shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sweet potatoes, apples, honey, seasonings and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool soup slightly and puree in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add beans and kale; cook, uncovered, over medium heat 10-15 minutes or until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream. Serve with toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 615mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 7g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spicy Sweet Potato Kale Cannellini Stoup in Country Woman February/March 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.