Spicy Peruvian Potato Soup
This robust Peruvian soup (Locro de Papas) has the comfort of potatoes and warming spiciness of chiles. Light enough for a simple lunch, it’s also satisfying enough to serve as a soup-for-dinner meal. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken stock
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/2 to 1 serrano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 fully cooked Spanish chorizo link (3 ounces), chopped
- Optional toppings: Sour cream and cubed avocado
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and sweet pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 6-8 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Transfer to a 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. Add the chicken stock, potatoes, chiles, 1/4 cup cilantro, serrano pepper and seasonings. Cook, covered, on low until potatoes are tender, 4-6 hours.
- Remove soup from heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth. Return to slow cooker. Stir in chorizo and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro; heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream and avocado.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 153 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 472mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Peruvian Potato Soup (Locro De Papas) in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.