Cumin, coriander and ginger lend unusual zip and flavor to this colorful, healthy side dish shared by Nancy Zimmerman in Cape May Court House, New Jersey.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds carrots, sliced
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice
- In a large nonstick saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick. Add honey and lemon juice to carrots. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until carrots are tender and liquid has evaporated. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Spicy Carrot Coins in Light & Tasty February/March 2007, p21