Spicy Brussels Sprouts and Carrots
A teacher friend, who knew I liked to try different dishes, shared this recipe with me. Guests always rave about the unique flavor of this casserole.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, thawed and halved
- 3/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1/4 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Minced fresh parsley
- In a small saucepan, combine the first three ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon cooking liquid.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, horseradish, onion, salt, pepper and reserved cooking liquid; mix well. Add the sprouts and carrot; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 2-cup baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until lightly browned. Sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 100 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 486mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Spicy Brussels Sprouts and Carrots in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook
Dec 26, 2014
Excellent recipe. The horseradish wasn't overpowering so even those who don't like horseradish really enjoyed them.
Aug 11, 2010
I don't like brussel sprouts but I loved this recipe. I just didn't make it with carrots.