"I've been cooking for big gatherings for years...and now that I'm widowed, it's hard to cook for just one or two," admits Trudy Barth of Niceville, Florida. "That's why I appreciate simple recipes like this one, which turns canned apricots into a special side dish."
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing
- 1 can (15 ounces) apricot halves
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- Drain apricots, reserving syrup; set apricots aside. In a small saucepan, combine the vinegar, allspice, cinnamon and reserved syrup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in apricots. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain if desired. Serve warm or cold.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 184 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Spiced Apricots in Taste of Home August/September 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.