Spiced Lamb Stew with Apricots
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 5 hours
- 2 pounds lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Hot cooked couscous
- Chopped dried apricots, optional
- In a large skillet, brown lamb in butter in batches. With a slotted spoon, transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Stir in the apricots, orange juice, broth and seasonings; pour over lamb.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender. Serve with couscous. Sprinkle with chopped apricots if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without couscous): 404 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 975mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 16, 2014
I made this yesterday for supper. It was simply delicious. After putting all the ingredients together in my slow cooker, I thought the smell of the spices was too strong. But I was wrong. The stew tasted great. I did add 4 carrots (slices) and a cup of fresh peas. I also doubled the chicken stock and orange juice. Turned out great. Will certainly make this again.