- 1-1/2 pound green beans, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- Place beans in a saucepan and cover with water; cook for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, salt, bay leaf and cloves; simmer for 10 minutes. Drain beans; add to tomato mixture. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Discard bay leaf and cloves. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews forSpanish String Beans
"This was quite good, even though I'm not a big fan of cloves and similar "sweet" spices in my savory food."