- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Coarse salt
- Salsa con queso dip
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt, minced onion and spices. Add water. Beat just until moistened. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide dough into 16 equal portions; roll each into a 15-in. rope. Cover and let rest 10 minutes longer.
- Twist into pretzel shapes. Place on greased baking sheets; brush with egg. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Brush again with egg; sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-13 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Serve pretzels warm with dip. Yield: 16 pretzels.
Reviews forSouthwest Pretzels
"The taste was very bland. The egg wash did nothing except glue the pretzels to the baking sheet, none of the salt stuck. Not worth my time when I have other recipes that actually work."
"My husband and I love to make these for "football munchies"!"
"They were okay. Somewhat lacking in flavor, though, which was disappointing. Also I think they need more salt, but maybe that was just me. :)"
"did not make it yet"
"This sounds great. I can't wait to try them. We use a recipe very similar, and they are great. In our recipe, the crispness of the pretzel depends on where you place the rack while cooking. Our recipe was actually supposed to be crisp rods, but I missed the detail about placing the rack 4 inches from the top of the stove. Therefore, I left mine in the center. They turned out soft, chewy, and yummy. My family so loved the results of the goof that we never made them the other way. We never take the time to twist ours-no one wants to wait for the extra preparation. We often use them as a breadstick with soup, chili...I would say from experience, go easy with the salt sprinkle at first;)"
"I was just wondering if these pretzels are hard or do they stay soft?Thanks"
"Fabulous snack, best when served fresh, not as good the next day."
"Sounds yummy! Will try it tonight."