As a Southerner and our household cook, I experimented until I hit on just the right biscuit recipe. It practically screams to be smothered in gravy or stuffed with eggs and sausage. —Susan Flippin, Mt. Airy, NC
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups self-rising flour, divided
- 1/4 cup cold butter or shortening
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- Melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. Place 2 cups flour in a large bowl. Cut in butter until butter is the size of peas. Stir in 1 cup milk. Dough should be wet and sticky; if needed, stir in some of the remaining milk.
- Place remaining flour in a small bowl. Using a 1/4-cup measuring cup dipped in flour, remove 1/4 cup dough from bowl and drop into flour; gently turn to coat. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Repeat.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter; serve warm.
Originally published as No Knead, No Roll, No Cut Biscuits in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.