Southern Banana Pudding
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 36 vanilla wafers
- 3 medium ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from heat. Stir a small amount of hot milk filling into egg yolks; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat; gently stir in butter and vanilla.
- In an ungreased 8-in. square baking dish, layer a third of the vanilla wafers, bananas and filling. Repeat layers twice.
- For meringue, beat egg whites, vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to sides of dish. Bake until meringue is golden, 12-15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 293 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 121mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 11, 2019
Old fashion banana pudding! Delicious, very rich and creamy!
Oct 23, 2016
This is the way "real" banana pudding should be made! I hadn't made it for years - somehow I remembered it to be sort of time consuming - but I was really craving a taste of the past, and this recipe didn't disappoint! SOOOOO much better than the instant pudding type! It didn't take long to put together, either.
Nov 13, 2015
Great recipe. I doubled the recipe and used a 9 x 13 dish. Worked perfect. Don't adjust anything. I am keeping this in my recipe box.
Aug 6, 2015
Delicious just the way it is!! Don't change a thing.
Nov 6, 2013
This is far better than then the one they are featuring today (11/06/2013). This one is true southern banana pudding. It bothers me when people try to change up Southern Banana Pudding. It is one dessert that is truly belongs to the South and you cannot improve on perfection. The person that gave this recipe three stars must be one if those health nuts or watching sugar intake but don't take out your issues on the desserts. Listen people desserts are sweet or should be sweet. So don't act like your disappointed because the dessert is sweet / you see one ingredients before you make it. If you need to change it up because if health reasons that is your issue not the desserts!!! I have made Southern Banana Pudding since I was at my mothers knee. Our recipe is very similar - we make a bigger batch - so our recipe is doubled and instead of using 2 eggs we use 3 eggs (when doubled 6 eggs). We use more butter, and we use half milk with half evaporated milk as well as a bit more vanilla. The merIngue is pretty much the same. But this basic recipe is wonderful for people wanting to learn how to make a true Southern Banana Pudding. It definitely gets five stars. If I had to find a problem with this it would be that there is not a picture of this fabulous dessert and recipe.
May 12, 2013
So easy! I doubled recipe to make 13x9 pan and it was perfect!
Mar 30, 2013
I added a cup of coconut to the custard to make a pie. I put it on a 9" cooked pie shell, put the meringue on top,cooked it and I was done.
Mar 21, 2012
I make this recipe all the time, my husband said "it was like the won his mother used to make." I love it, I was always taught to make banana pudding cold. This is very good.
Jun 16, 2010
I like the creamy texture of this classic Southern treat. Very comforting food since I was a youngster growing up in Texas. MMMM!
Apr 13, 2008
This was a super simple recipe. The pudding was simple to make, however it was terribly sweet. I was extremely disspointed by this. I felt it ruined the desert. The sweet of the pudding overpowered the dessert. I made the recipe over and it turned out perfect by reducing the sugar to 1/2 cup. Increased the whole milk to 2 1/2 cups. Increased the eggs to 3 yokes and 3 whites. and reduced the vanilla flavoring to 1/2 tsp for each the pudding and the meringue.