Soda Fountain Pie
Meet the Cook: The first time I made this pie was during winter, using frozen berries. It was a hit even then. For a change of pace, I'm planning to make it with an Oreo cookie crust the next time. While our home's in Minnesota, my husband and I also farm in South Dakota. Luckily, we do love living in the country! We have five children, ranging in age from 22 to 7. -Marsha Hanson, Ponsford, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups crushed sugar cones (about 12)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 cups fresh strawberries, divided
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- 1/3 cup malted milk powder
- 1-1/2 cups fudge ice cream topping, softened
- Additional strawberries, optional
- In a large, bowl, combine the crushed sugar cones, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 10-in. pie plate. Freeze.
- Place 3 cups of strawberries in a blender or food processor; cover and puree. Chop the remaining strawberries.
- Place pureed and chopped strawberries in a large bowl. Add ice cream and malted milk powder; stir to blend. Pour into prepared crust. Cover and freeze overnight.
- Spread fudge topping over the pie to within 1 in of edge; freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Remover from the freezer 20 minutes before serving. Serve with additional berries if desired.