Slow Cooker Chicken & Black Bean Tacos
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon each salt, cayenne pepper and pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches), warmed
- Toppings: shredded Mexican cheese blend, shredded lettuce, peeled medium ripe avocado and hot sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; stir in seasonings. Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker; add pineapple mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken; cool slightly. Shred meat with two forks; return to slow cooker. Stir in beans. Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until heated through. Using a slotted spoon, serve chicken mixture in tortillas with toppings.
Nutrition Facts2 tacos (calculated without toppings): 387 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 50mg cholesterol, 757mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 3 lean meat.
Jul 28, 2014
We had a lot of liquid, even after using a slotted spoon. I should have drained it more, since it was dripping from out tacos. The pineapple flavor wasn't overpowering, but I found I didn't care for it. It was a very easy recipe to make, so hopefully others will have better luck.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.