Sloppy joes are a favorite go-to dish for busy families, and my spin with melty provolone, green pepper and onions makes for a fun, unexpected twist on a classic! — Mandy Rivers, Lexington, South Carolina
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 French rolls
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Mayonnaise, optional
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, cook and crumble beef with pepper and onion over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; drain. Stir in seasonings.
- Cut rolls horizontally in half. Place bottoms on a baking sheet; broil 3-4 in. from heat until toasted, about 30 seconds. Top with beef mixture, then with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 45-60 seconds.
- Place roll tops on a baking sheet; broil 3-4 in. from heat until toasted, about 30 seconds. If desired, spread with mayonnaise. Close sandwiches. Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Microwave, covered, on high in a microwave-safe dish until heated through, stirring occasionally. Prepare sandwiches as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 417 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 798mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Sloppy Cheesesteaks in Simple & Delicious December/January 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.