Saucy Spiced Apple Pie
Mom's sweet and saucy apple pie earns a lip-smacking salute from everyone who tastes it. Since it's hard to wait for it to cool, I like to serve slices warm with a scoop of French vanilla ice cream on top.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 55 min.
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- Additional sugar
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edge. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, pineapple juice and vanilla until well blended.(mixture will appear curdled). Combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Fill crust with apple slices. Top with the creamed mixture.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. cut slits in top. Beat egg white; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with additional sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 583 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 96g carbohydrate (64g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Saucy Spiced Apple Pie in Country Woman September/October 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.