Salsa Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup salsa
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or pepper Jack cheese, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken, broth, water and chili powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add corn; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and corn is tender. Add salsa and heat through. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 84 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 481mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 lean meat.
Nov 12, 2018
I followed some of the suggestions from the comments. I used a can of diced tomatoes and cream corn instead of regular corn. I didn't drain any if the canned ingredients and omitted the water entirely. I cooked the chicken separately, shredded it and then added it in the last few minutes. I also added extra chili powder and crumbled tortilla chips on top. This was a fantastic soup. Cheap, easy and most importantly, delicious.
Nov 18, 2015
Very tasty! We doubled the recipe and threw in some corn chips in our bowls and loved it. Will make again for sure!
Dec 11, 2014
Great recipe. So healthy and easy and still tastey. 1 cup is only 2 WW points
Oct 20, 2013
I LOVE this recipe - it is my go-to. The only thing I add extra is a can of diced tomato's, sauce and all. :)
Mar 8, 2013
This is delicious soup and is cheap on the calories. Perfect for dieting without giving up taste.
Mar 1, 2013
This is great, easy to make soup! Don't forget to serve with sour cream to cut the spice...I liked it okay, but our company thought it a bit hot!
Aug 23, 2012
My Husband says this is the Soups of Soups! I used a large jar of corn salsa but same results! Shared it with my best friend from Church...She says it beats (top Lable brand) soup! Your recipe is total happiness!
Aug 29, 2011
Our family favorite especiall on a cold winter night, i add black beans and some cilantro to make it my own...so good
Dec 27, 2010
This is wonderful. I used canned cream style corn instead so I omitted the water. Used homemade salsa and was wonderful. Definately a keeper.
Dec 21, 2010
We made this in our 6th grade Home and Career Skills class and we really liked it. To quote Brian "it's like a liquified burrito without the shell".