Rye Party Puffs
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rye flour
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- Caraway seeds
- CORNED BEEF FILLING:
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages (2 ounces each) thinly sliced deli corned beef, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 1 teaspoon spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 10 small pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add the flours, parsley, garlic powder and salt all at once; stir until a smooth balls forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat until smooth.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Sprinkle with caraway. Bake until golden brown, 18-20 minutes. Remove to wire racks. Immediately cut a slit in each puff to allow steam to escape; cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the first eight filling ingredients. Stir in olives. Split puffs; add filling. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 appetizer: 78 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 108mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (trace sugars, trace fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 18, 2019
I've made these for years and it's a favorite of mine. For those who don't care for rye, you can make these with white flour as well. I typically double the filling and make one batch of rye and one white to please everyone.
Dec 18, 2018
These are quite labor-intensive and taste rather bland. The caraway seeds ended up everywhere; next time I would incorporate them into the filling. There is way too much cream cheese in the filling, and we couldn't taste the dried beef/corned beef or the rye at all. These need more seasonings to give them a kick.
Dec 20, 2017
What a delicious recipe! I made half the recipe for a small family gathering and everyone thought they were great. I will definitely be making these again!
Mar 21, 2015
Aug 27, 2014
these are really good. not the best appetizer i've ever made but good
Sep 6, 2013
I liked the ingredients in this recipe but was pressed for time so I made the filling and it was spread on party rye bread!!! Everyone enjoyed this appetizer and had lots of requests for recipe....
Jun 15, 2013
Followed the recipe exactly and got a thumbs up from 5 taste testers. I personally think I would double the corned beef next time.
Jun 15, 2012
The puffs are really great. Next time I will try more meat as I thought the filling flavor was a bit bland
Mar 17, 2012
if i take these to a party i had better come with plenty of copies of the recipe. only thing i have changed is to go easy on the amount of filling. any leftover goes great on crackers, etc.
Mar 17, 2012
Fantastic - I only used one 8 oz cream cheese. I substituted the mustard for Dijon & added 2 oz of extra meat. Wonderful. Can't wait to make it again!