Mocha Cream Puffs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min.
Makes4 cream puffs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add egg; beat until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop batter into four mounds 3 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove puffs to a wire rack. Immediately split puffs open; remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs.
- For the filling, in a small saucepan, combine 3 tablespoons cream, chocolate chips, sugar and salt. Cook over low heat until the chips are melted; stir until blended. Remove from the heat; gradually stir in the vanilla, coffee and remaining cream.
- Transfer to a small bowl. Refrigerate until chilled. Beat filling until stiff. Fill cream puffs just before serving; replace tops. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 281 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 123mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 15, 2012
My go to cream puff recipe. I like that it doesn't have a custard center.
Mar 8, 2011
These taste like they should be SO hard to make, but they're quite easy. Delicious!
Jan 4, 2010
I made these for a family gathering at New Years and they were loved by young and old alike.