Buffalo Chicken Empanadas with Blue Cheese Sauce
These little golden-brown pockets are fun to eat and feature the popular taste of Buffalo wings. Using rotisserie chicken and refrigerated pie pastry speed up the preparation. —Melissa Millwood, Lyman, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makes8 dozen (1 cup sauce)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 4-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups finely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 sheets refrigerated pie crust
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small skillet, saute onion and green pepper in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, mozzarella cheese, wing sauce, salt and pepper. Stir in the onion mixture.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll 1 pie crust. Roll out into a 12-in. circle. Cut with a floured 3-in. biscuit cutter. Remove excess dough and reroll scraps. Repeat with remaining pie crusts.
- Beat eggs and water; brush over edges of 3-in. pie crust circles. Place heaping teaspoonfuls of filling in the centers. Fold dough in half over filling. Press edges with a fork to seal.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining egg mixture. Bake at 400° until golden brown, 9-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring cream to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add blue cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted and sauce thickens, 2 minutes longer. Serve with empanadas.
Make Ahead: Unbaked empanadas may be frozen for up to 2 months. Bake as directed for 12-16 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 empanada with 1/2 teaspoon sauce: 81 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as BUFFALO CHICKEN EMPANADAS WITH BLUE CHEESE CREAM SAUCE in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013