Roast Goose with Apple-Raisin Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 domestic goose (10 to 12 pounds)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chopped peeled apples
- 2 cups raisins
- 8 cups cubed day-old white bread
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- Sprinkle the inside of the goose with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Prick skin well. In a skillet, saute celery and onion in butter; transfer to a bowl. Add the apples, raisins, bread, sugar and remaining salt.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, cider and water. Pour over bread mixture and toss lightly. Stuff into the goose. Place with breast side up on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a thermometer reads 180°. Drain fat from pan as it accumulates. Remove stuffing before carving goose.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 893 calories, 52g fat (17g saturated fat), 244mg cholesterol, 622mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 59g protein.
Nov 4, 2016
I've used this recipe for my Thanksgiving turkey for years since it was featured in Taste of Home's 1996 October/November issue. It's a keeper. Not too sweet-perfect!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.