Apple-Walnut Sausage Stuffing
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 45 min.
Makes16 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Ground Mild Italian sausage
- 16 cups cubed day-old bread
- 5 medium tart apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onions, sage and thyme in butter until vegetables are tender. Transfer to a very large bowl; cool slightly. Stir in the cheese, parsley, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In the same skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add to celery mixture. Add the bread cubes, apples, broth and walnuts; toss to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish (dish will be full). Cover and bake at 350° for 25 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through and lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 358 calories, 24g fat (10g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 785mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 10g protein.
Nov 28, 2017
This is a great stuffing recipe! I loved the apple-sausage combo.
Nov 22, 2016
Love this recipe and make it every year but always manage to forget to add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Didn't forget this year.
Nov 24, 2014
I love this recipe!!! I have made it for about three years now and the only thing that I have changed is cooking the apples with the vegetables at the beginning of the recipe. My entire family loves this stuffing!! Thank you for this excellent recipe!!!
Nov 19, 2014
We've made this stuffing for years and years and love it! It makes a huge amount and often, we've frozen half of it (we have a small gathering) and it freezes well also. I do slice my apples as directed, but can see the point from the reviewer who suggested dicing them. I may try that this year as well. The flavor is amazing and so moist!
Nov 22, 2012
I made this for Thanksgiving this year and everyone loved it. The only thing I think I'll do different is to cut back on the walnuts and cut the apples into small bite size pieces instead of slices but I'll definitely make this again next year.
Nov 25, 2010
For a lighter version I made it without the cheese and sausage and it was still wonderful. The seasonings are marvelous and it makes enough for the whole family and lots of left overs!
Nov 20, 2010
I made this last year and my son in law said I make the best stuffing he ever had. Of course I am making it again this Thanksgiving
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.