Ribbon Salad with Orange Vinaigrette
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 medium carrot
- 3 medium oranges
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, optional
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave zucchini, cucumber and carrot lengthwise into very thin strips.
- Finely grate enough peel from oranges to measure 2 tablespoons. Cut one orange crosswise in half; squeeze juice from orange to measure 1/2 cup. Reserve peel and juice for vinaigrette. Cut a thin slice from the top and bottom of remaining oranges; stand oranges upright on a cutting board. With a knife, cut off peel and outer membrane from orange. Cut along the membrane of each segment to remove fruit.
- In a large bowl, combine spinach, orange sections, green onions, walnuts, salt, pepper and, if desired, raisins. Add vegetable ribbons; gently toss to combine. In a small bowl, combine vinaigrette ingredients. Add reserved orange peel and juice; whisk until blended. Drizzle half of the vinaigrette over salad; toss to coat. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 162 calories, 12g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 240mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jun 11, 2018
Very interesting concept; however, the vinaigrette was far too sweet for our tastes and this is not the time of year to be shredding raw carrots or zucchini as they are too coarse. Would eliminate the honey completely from the vinaigrette and use small zucchini and carrots.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.