Rhubarb Meringue Dessert
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 65 min. + chilling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 6 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in egg yolks and cream. Add rhubarb. Pour over crust. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until set.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form. Beat in vanilla. Spread over hot filling. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 318 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 314mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 6, 2017
Awesome dessert. This is a very old recipe. I can remember Mom making it but I always forgot to ask for the recipe. I’m SO glad you shared!
Aug 29, 2014
Wonderful. It kept very well too. L will make this again.
Jun 28, 2013
Easy to make and very delicious!!
Sep 7, 2011
I have made this several times for parties and gettogethers. Everyone loves it.
Jul 3, 2011
If you like rhubarb, you'll love this.
Mar 31, 2011
This is absolutely delicious! Don't shy away from making this one.... it is easy to make! I always get compliments when I serve this. I ususally use frozen rhubarb.
Oct 30, 2009
I have made this many times, and it always gets rave reviews. It looks complicated, but is really very easy