"No one will believe that this creamy dessert, topped with tangy rhubarb, is actually a light treat," says Ruth Eisenreich of Catonsville, Maryland.
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 10 squares)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat margarine, melted
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup fat-free vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup cold water, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and cinnamon; stir in margarine. Press onto the bottom of a 9-in. springform pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, yogurt and sugar, until smooth. Gradually add egg substitute; beat on low speed just until combined. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Pour filling over crust.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar and 2 tablespoons water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until rhubarb is tender, about 10 minutes. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into rhubarb mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add food coloring if desired. Cover and refrigerate until cool. Spoon over slices of cheesecake.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 8g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 fat, 1 fruit.
Originally published as Rhubarb-Topped Cheesecake in Taste of Home April/May 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.