Coconut Cheesecake & Rhubarb Compote
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. + chilling
Makes16 servings (3-1/2 cups compote)
- 14 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 5 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice or water
- Additional toasted coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. (3-in.-deep) springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap foil securely around pan.
- Break graham crackers into quarters; place in a food processor. Add coconut and sugar; pulse until fine crumbs form. While pulsing, add melted butter just until blended. Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan.
- For cheesecake, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Fold in coconut. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake 80-90 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer.
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly; transfer to a covered container. Refrigerate cheesecake and compote overnight, covering cheesecake when completely cooled.
- Remove rim from springform pan. If desired, press additional coconut onto sides of cheesecake. Serve with compote, warmed if desired.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 3 tablespoons compote (calculated without optional coconut): 589 calories, 38g fat (23g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 23, 2017
This is an excellent desert. Make it 4 days ahead though, the flavour improves every day over the last. We ran out at day 5 and it was amazing then. My husband enjoyed it with maple syrup. Janet VFE
Jun 30, 2016
This is one of the creamiest cheesecakes I ever had. Since my family does not like rhubarb, I made a pineapple topping instead. (1 can crushed pineapple thickened with some cornstarch mixed with cold water ... cook until thickened..) I will surely be making this again ..... and again ..... and again!! Note: the amount of graham crackers called for in the recipe measures out to about 2 1/4 cups of crumbs....