Coconut Cheesecake & Rhubarb Compote
Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. + chilling
Makes16 servings (3-1/2 cups compote)
- 14 whole graham crackers
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 5 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups sour cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
- 5 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice or water
- Additional toasted coconut, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. Place a greased 9-in. (3-in.-deep) springform pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square). Wrap foil securely around pan.
- Break graham crackers into quarters; place in a food processor. Add coconut and sugar; pulse until fine crumbs form. While pulsing, add melted butter just until blended. Press onto bottom and 1-1/2 in. up sides of prepared pan.
- For cheesecake, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream, vanilla and lemon juice. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until blended. Fold in coconut. Pour into crust. Place springform pan in a larger baking pan; add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
- Bake 80-90 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool cheesecake on a wire rack 10 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove foil. Cool 1 hour longer.
- In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb, sugar and orange juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until thickened. Cool slightly; transfer to a covered container. Refrigerate cheesecake and compote overnight, covering cheesecake when completely cooled.
- Remove rim from springform pan. If desired, press additional coconut onto sides of cheesecake. Serve with compote, warmed if desired.
Editor's NoteTo toast coconut, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice with 3 tablespoons compote (calculated without optional coconut): 589 calories, 38g fat (23g saturated fat), 159mg cholesterol, 434mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Apr 23, 2017
This is an excellent desert. Make it 4 days ahead though, the flavour improves every day over the last. We ran out at day 5 and it was amazing then. My husband enjoyed it with maple syrup. Janet VFE
Jun 30, 2016
This is one of the creamiest cheesecakes I ever had. Since my family does not like rhubarb, I made a pineapple topping instead. (1 can crushed pineapple thickened with some cornstarch mixed with cold water ... cook until thickened..) I will surely be making this again ..... and again ..... and again!! Note: the amount of graham crackers called for in the recipe measures out to about 2 1/4 cups of crumbs....
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.