Macaroon-Topped Rhubarb Cobbler
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb (1-inch pieces)
- 1 large apple, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 8 macaroons, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, optional
- In a large cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, combine the rhubarb, apple, brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until rhubarb is very tender, 10-13 minutes. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; gradually add to the fruit mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the crumbled cookies, butter, sugar and remaining cinnamon. Sprinkle over fruit mixture.
- Broil 4 in. from the heat until lightly browned, 3-5 minutes. If desired, serve warm with ice cream.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 368 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 5g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 23, 2018
I LOVE rhubarb and this one is rustic and delicious! I loved that it didn't have too much sugar (I usually add less to rhubarb recipes) as I don't want to lose the tartness of the fruit. I had never thought of using macaroons to top desserts and that just took it over the top!! I will use that ingredient going forward with other treats. Thanks!
Jun 5, 2008
I didn't have macaroons and wasn't going to drive to the store to purchase any BUT I did have my homemade snickerdoodles on hand and used those. Also, did not use an apple just added more rhubarb. My company thought it was great and so today when I make it I will do the same thing. The snickerdoodles already have the extra sugar and cinnamon on them so didn't need to add any more. Loved how easy it was! Thank you for sharing.