Raspberry Baked Alaska Pie
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + freezing
Makes8 servings (1 cup sauce)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen sweetened raspberries, thawed
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 4-1/2 cups reduced-fat vanilla ice cream, softened
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, brown sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-in. pie plate; freeze until set.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Stir in raspberries and lemon peel. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until mixture just comes to a boil. Remove from the heat; transfer to a small bowl. Cool slightly; refrigerate until chilled.
- Spread 1-1/2 cups ice cream into crust; cover and freeze for 1 hour. Drizzle with 1/2 cup raspberry sauce; freeze until set. Repeat layers, freezing after each layer. Top with remaining ice cream. Cover and freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine egg whites and sugar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Immediately spread meringue over ice cream, sealing to edges of pie. Heat with a creme brulee torch or broil 8 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve immediately with remaining sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 321 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Nov 2, 2011
Ummm, if you put whipped topping on you won't be able to "brown" it!
Nov 2, 2011
I'm not sure as I haven't made. Is the raspberry sauce the raspberry mixture? and how many layers are there? I might try using ReddiWhip for topping.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.