- 4 packages (3 ounces each) assorted flavored gelatin
- 6 envelopes unflavored gelatin, divided
- 5-3/4 cups boiling water, divided
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup cold water
- In a bowl, combine one package flavored gelatin and one envelope unflavored gelatin. Stir in 1 cup boiling water until dissolved. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. dish coated with cooking spray; refrigerate until set but not firm, about 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the condensed milk and 1 cup boiling water. In another bowl, sprinkle two envelopes unflavored gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in 3/4 cup boiling water. Add to the milk mixture. Spoon 1 cup of the creamy gelatin mixture over the first flavored gelatin layer. Refrigerate until set but not firm, about 25 minutes.
- Repeat from beginning of recipe twice alternating flavored gelatin with creamy gelatin layers. Chill each layer until set but not firm before spooning next layer on top. Make final flavored gelatin; spoon over top. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour after completing last layer before cutting into 1-in. squares. Yield: about 9 dozen.
Reviews forRainbow Gelatin Cubes
"I can't count how many times I have made this recipe. School, church, potlucks, graduations... The kids and adults love them. It took a lot of trial and error to get it down, but I can do it in about 2 1/2 hrs. If they hadn't turned out perfect the first time I made them, I probably wouldn't have ever done it again. Tips: as soon as you pour out the colored layer, make the next one so that it cools a bit. Microwave slightly if the white layer gets too thick. It takes less time to set as you go along, only about 10 min. for the last 3 layers. The good thing is that once they are cut, the imperfections aren't so obvious. Try to find a level spot in the fridge. Jello boxes work great for leveling!"
"Mine didn't look anything like the one in the picture. The layers were very thin and the last white layer started to thicken, so I put it over a bowl of warm water and that seemed to help a bit. Next time I'll try the microwave for that and maybe a smaller pan than 9x13 so the layers are thicker. Anyone have any comments on this?"
"I thought that I was supposed to wait 20 minutes for the flavored layers and 25 for the milk layer and when I got to the last milk layer, it had firmed up in my bowl so I couldn't pour it. The directions also say that it takes 30 minutes, and it took me hours! I am exhausted! I don't think that they are going to look like the photo when I cut them up..."
"How cute! My kids love these! One of those recipes that people think you took hours to make and lots of effort... Not so! I like using the different colors as well... Makes a stunning display."
"This recipe is super easy and always a hit at every gathering I make it for."
"My kids gobbled them up! Delicious and super easy to make. I love how versatile this recipe is by changing the flavors of jello. It fits any occasion!"
"I'm making this recipe for the second time now. They were such a hit last time!!!"
"These are so yummy and fun to eat! I love the layers with the condensed milk. They are so simple to prepare. They look very impressive and they travel well."