Frosted Fruit Gelatin Dessert
I created this dessert for my mom, who is unable to have artificial sweeteners. The nice red color and creamy top are appealing to my whole family while being lower in added sugar, too. —Erika Niehoff, Eveleth, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons cranberry juice, divided
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1-1/2 cups sliced firm bananas
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- Measure 1-1/8 teaspoons gelatin; set aside for topping. In a small saucepan, sprinkle remaining gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Cook over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; stir in 2 cups cranberry juice and orange juice.
- Place the pineapple and bananas in an 8-in. square dish coated with cooking spray. Pour juice mixture over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 45-60 minutes or until firm.
- For topping, in a small saucepan, sprinkle reserved gelatin over remaining cranberry juice; let stand for 1 minute. Stir in sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring until completely dissolved. Place the yogurt in a bowl; stir in cranberry mixture. Spread over gelatin. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.