Quicker Blueberry French Toast
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (1-3/4 cups sauce)
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup, divided
- 2 tablespoons blueberry preserves
- 16 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Beat the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons syrup and preserves in a small bowl. Spread over eight slices of bread; top with remaining bread.
- Whisk the eggs, milk, flour, vanilla, salt and remaining syrup in a shallow bowl. Dip both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture. Cook on a greased hot griddle until golden brown on both sides.
- Combine the sugar, water and cornstarch until smooth in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in blueberries; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until berries burst. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Serve with French toast.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 354 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 304mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 2, 2016
Can't miss awesome breakfast treat even though I didn't have blueberry preserves. Can substitute berries or other fruit jam.
Jun 25, 2014
Delicious and easy!! Liked by all!
Apr 7, 2014
HOLY COW!! This was awesome. I've been making this every weekend for the last 2 months. This is the first choice when I ask what they want for breakfast. I started putting some blueberries on the cream cheese as well. Easy to make for 2 as well.
Jan 27, 2014
Made this for breakfast this weekend and it was amazing!!!!!
Jan 20, 2014
Wow! These were so easy and delicious! I didn't have blueberry preserves, so I just added a few crushed blueberries to the cream cheese. Thank you for sharing!!
Jan 18, 2014
This was such a delicious treat! The french bread insures that it does not get soggy and holds up great!!! Superb
Jan 18, 2014
I love cream cheese and I love blueberries so I couldn't wait to try this recipe. It's even better than it sounds! A dollop of whipped cream on top and I would call this dessert. Yummy!!
Nov 24, 2013
Fabulous, special occasion breakfast! I cut the amount of the cream cheese and maple syrup for the filling in half, as the recipe makes much more filling than needed, and spread the bread with the preserves, so I probably used more than 2 Tablespoons, everything else was according to the recipe. A very special treat...delicious!
Jun 23, 2013
Made this for Mothers Day. Had 3 mothers for breakfast and they all were throughly delighted.
May 12, 2013
By the way...switched out the blueberries for strawberries and it worked just as well!