Quick Bearnaise Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 8 whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and water. Cook and stir over low heat or simmering water until mixture bubbles around edges and reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the wine or broth, vinegar, shallot, 1-1/2 teaspoons tarragon and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain and set liquid aside.
- Cut cold butter into eight pieces; add to egg yolk mixture, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition until melted. Stir reserved liquid and remaining tarragon into prepared sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 129 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 24, 2010
Made this sauce last night to pour on sauted crab over steak (steak oscar) - it was delicious. Everyone really enjoyed the taste - and some used the extra and poured over rest of their steak because they really enjoyed the fusion of steak and the bearnaise. I used fresh Tarragon - which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The only challenge was to make sure the sauce and the steaks were finished about the same time.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.