Quick Bearnaise Sauce
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon, divided
- 8 whole peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- In a small heavy saucepan, whisk the egg yolks and water. Cook and stir over low heat or simmering water until mixture bubbles around edges and reaches 160°, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the wine or broth, vinegar, shallot, 1-1/2 teaspoons tarragon and peppercorns. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until reduced to 2 tablespoons. Strain and set liquid aside.
- Cut cold butter into eight pieces; add to egg yolk mixture, one piece at a time, stirring after each addition until melted. Stir reserved liquid and remaining tarragon into prepared sauce. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 129 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 110mg cholesterol, 119mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Jul 24, 2010
Made this sauce last night to pour on sauted crab over steak (steak oscar) - it was delicious. Everyone really enjoyed the taste - and some used the extra and poured over rest of their steak because they really enjoyed the fusion of steak and the bearnaise. I used fresh Tarragon - which was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. The only challenge was to make sure the sauce and the steaks were finished about the same time.