Provolone Beef Pastry Pockets
My children always make sure they're home when they find out we're having these pockets for dinner. They're a smart way to use leftover pot roast. —Karen Burkett, Reseda, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated beef roast au jus
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender and liquid is evaporated. Remove from pan; cool completely.
- Drain beef, discarding sauce or saving for another use. Coarsely chop beef. In a small bowl, whisk egg and water.
- Unfold one sheet of puff pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 15x9-in. rectangle; cut crosswise into thirds, making three 5-in.-wide rectangles.
- Place a cheese slice on one half of each rectangle, trimming cheese to fit. Top each with a rounded tablespoon mushroom mixture and scant 3 tablespoons beef. Lightly brush edges of pastry with egg mixture. Fold pastry over filling; press edges with a fork to seal. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pastry sheet and filling.
- Brush tops with egg mixture. Bake 17-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Freeze option: Freeze unbaked pastries on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer to a resealable plastic freezer bag; return to freezer. To use, bake frozen pastries on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet in a preheated 400° oven 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 pocket: 628 calories, 36g fat (13g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 725mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 6g fiber), 29g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Beef Wellington Pockets in Simple & Delicious August/September 2014