Pretzel-Crusted Chicken with Mixed Greens
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes4 servings (2/3 cup sauce)
- 2 cups sourdough pretzel nuggets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- Place pretzels in a food processor; process until finely crushed. Place pretzels and flour in separate shallow bowls. In another shallow bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, garlic and pepper. Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Dip both sides of chicken in flour, egg mixture and then pretzel crumbs.
- In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook for 4-6 minutes on each side or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and mustard. Remove 2 tablespoons to another bowl for dressing; whisk in remaining oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Serve with chicken and remaining mayonnaise mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken breast with 1-1/2 cups salad and about 2 tablespoons sauce: 695 calories, 52g fat (8g saturated fat), 177mg cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 35g protein.
Apr 28, 2018
So good! I don't eat mayo, so I substituted 1/3c sour cream and 1/3c greek yogurt. Love the texture from the crushed pretzels. Will definitely be making this again!
Jan 16, 2016
Can the chicken be baked in the oven instead of being fried?
Jul 30, 2015
My family loved it, it's a keeper
Oct 26, 2013
The chicken was excellent, and we loved the mayo/Dijon sauce for the chicken, but I did not care for the salad dressing and my husband thought it was okay. Not that it isn't a good dressing recipe, it just isn't our taste so much. We will definitely make the chicken again, though.
Aug 2, 2013
Really good chicken. Prefer the pretzels over bread crumbs any day. My 5 year old who needs to be bribed to finish any kind of meat ate a whole piece and actually requests this dish. Insted of Mayo, use Greek Yougurt.
Jul 8, 2013
Very good recipe, flavors all taste well together
Jun 10, 2013
This was pretty yummy! I was leary of the mayo sauce but it went well with the chicken. I used lite mayo since that's all we had, and it was fine.
Jan 31, 2013
The chicken smelled fantastic, but I found that frying it in the oil took away the flavor of the pretzels.
Dec 4, 2012
My picky teenagers loved it!
Sep 13, 2012
My whole family loved it! It is being added to our rotation!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.