Pretzel-Crusted Catfish Bites
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
- 1-1/2 pounds catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups honey mustard miniature pretzels, finely crushed
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges, optional
- Sprinkle catfish with salt and pepper. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, mustard and milk. Place flour and crushed pretzels in separate shallow bowls. Dip fish in flour to coat all sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg mixture, then in pretzels, patting to help coating adhere.
- Heat 1/4 in. of oil to 375° in an electric skillet. Fry fish, a few pieces at a time, 1-2 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on paper towels. If desired, serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 637 calories, 34g fat (5g saturated fat), 160mg cholesterol, 1503mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 33g protein.
Oct 23, 2013
Great alternative to my usual breading go-tos of homemade breadcrumbs or Panko mix. Love the addition of Dijon to the egg dip. I preferred plain pretzels and used larger ones as mini pretzels may make a little salty.
Sep 29, 2013
I was a little worried that the mustard flavors were going to overwhelm the catfish, but they were surprisingly mellow once cooked! I used larger catfish nuggets than called for but otherwise made the recipe exactly as written, and it is a definite keeper! Nice crispy coating and just the right hint of mustard flavor.
Aug 26, 2013
I used this recipe with boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into nuggets and served with additional Dijon mustard for dipping sauce. The pretzels were a really fun twist and created a great crunchy texture.