Spooky Pretzel Bones
I hosted a party one Halloween and wanted to make pretzels to go with my beer cheese dip. Considering the holiday, I shaped the dough into bones. —Courtney Lentz, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds or grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into 12 portions. Roll each into a 14-in. rope; tie a knot at each end.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Place 1 pretzel at a time into boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg; sprinkle with desired topping. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 pretzel: 173 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.