- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (14 ounces) pasta sauce with meat
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente; drain and transfer to greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain and remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, oregano, salt and pepper; cook and stir 5 minutes. Add zucchini, mushrooms and garlic; cook and stir 6-8 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in tomato sauce, pasta sauce and sausage; pour over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese (dish will be full). Cover casserole with a piece of foil coated with cooking spray. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forPotluck Sausage Casserole
"As usual I make the first time according to recipe. May have been the suasage I used, but I would not add any salt to it. Husband is picky when it come to carrots and mushrooms and didn't even realize they were in this recipe."