- 4 cups coarsely shredded raw potatoes (about 4 large)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded Colby cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups diced cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Combine crust ingredients and press into a well-greased 10-in. deep dish pie plate. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Remove crust from oven; reduce heat to 350°. Add 1 cup cheese, onion, ham and broccoli to crust. Mix eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg; pour over all. Sprinkle with paprika and bake for 35-40 minutes or until set. Remove from the oven and top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPotato Crust Quiche
"Used 2 cups grated potatoe and it turned out fine"
"@creamers: The ounces shown for the cheese represent weight, not volume. You cannot equate ounces (volume) with ounces (weight) for non-liquid ingredients (or for dense liquid ingredients). 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese weighs approximately 6 ounces. The recipe is correct. (Giving 5 stars to counteract creamers 1-star.)"
"Not a review, just a comment. 1 1/2 cups is 12 ounces, not 6. 6 ounces is 3/4 cup."
"Great hearty recipe. I did have to cook the crust a little bit longer to get it crusty."
"EXCELLENT!! After you shred the potatoes, good idea to salt them and run under cold water to remove the starch. Also, make sure your potatoes are REALLY strained/drained and dry. The extra time and patience are worth it. Great combination! It's an omelet in a potato pancake crust, yummy!!!!! You can customize it to your liking, perfect!!! Thank you for submitting this, A !"
"I thought the recipe was good. I had to make a lot of changes just because of things I didn't have on hand but it still worked out. As for the crust, I thought it tasted good but it did have an ugly grey coloring. I would not have wanted to serve it to guests just because of the appearance. Once my hubby and I got over the color, everything was good."
"The crust has a very unpleasant texture. As someone else said, the crust was excessively thick and doughey which was a shame since the flavor was nice. Thankfully, I have something else I can serve since this is going in the garbage."
"This was okay, not spectacular. Will not make again."
"Great idea to use fresh potato as a crust. Followed the recipe as it stated. The crust was a bit dense and doughy but the filling is very tasty. Next time I may use less flour and sauté onion first. Thanks for sharing."