We grow potatoes and found this recipe is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. This dish is a favorite among our family and friends.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (prepared with milk)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 3 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 4 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a bowl, combine potatoes, egg, Parmesan cheese, butter and salt. Press onto bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate. Spread pizza sauce over potato mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with pepperoni and mushrooms. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Editor's Note: An 11x7x2-in. baking dish can be used instead of the pie plate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 293 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 1518mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Potato-Crust Pizza in Country Extra September 1997
Nov 13, 2016
Not to my taste. Mashed potatoes did not make a good crust - it tasted like mashed potatoes with pizza toppings. I will not make it again. I even tried pre-baking the 'crust' so it would have a chance to dry out a little bit.