My favorite room in our house is the kitchen, where I love to carry on the country cooking traditions passed down to me through my grandmother and mother. I also enjoy sewing and crafting with my daughters.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 2-1/2 cups warm cooked rice
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1-1/2 cups finely chopped fully cooked ham
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Several drops of hot pepper sauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- Chopped fresh parsley
- With the back of a spoon, press the rice into a greased 9-in. pie plate to form a crust. Drizzle with butter. Bake at 350° for 3 minutes; remove from the oven. Combine ham, cheeses and hot pepper sauce; sprinkle over rice. Beat eggs, milk, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder; pour over ham over mixture. Sprinkle with parsley. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 397 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 185mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Rice-Crust Quiche in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.