Pork Chops with Pizza Sauce
This recipe was passed down to me from Mom, who got it from her mother. Oregano and basil in the tomato sauce and in the coating on these tender moist chops give this entree its Italian flavor. -Joanna Iovino of Commack, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 to 4 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 2 to 4 teaspoons dried basil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 bone-in pork loin chop (7 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups hot cooked noodles
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons oregano, 1-1/2 to 3 teaspoons basil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper./ Sprinkle over both sides of chops. In a large nonstick skillet, brown pork on both sides in oil over medium heat; remove from skillet.
- In the same skillet, saute onions and garlic until tender. Add the tomato sauce, water and the remaining oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Return pork to the skillet. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve with hot noodles.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 302 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 86mg cholesterol, 882mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 3 vegetable.
Originally published as Pork Chops With Pizza Sauce in Light & Tasty February/March 2004