Pesto Chicken Strata
I like this rustic strata for its hearty flavor. It's also nice to have something savory along with sweeter brunch dishes like cinnamon rolls and doughnuts. —Michael Cohen, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1-1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread
- Additional chopped fresh basil leaves
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain.
- In a large bowl, mix basil, 1 cup Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, pine nuts and garlic. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and remaining oil, salt and pepper.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer half of the bread cubes, a third of the cheese mixture and half of the chicken. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cheese mixture. Pour egg mixture over top; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with additional basil.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 415 calories, 29g fat (8g saturated fat), 199mg cholesterol, 598mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Pesto Chicken Strata in Breakfast & Brunch 2014 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.