Grilled Pesto, Ham and Provolone Sandwiches
These Italian-style sandwiches are loaded with zesty flavors. To lighten them a little, use fat-free mayo. We serve them with minestrone or a crisp salad. —Priscilla Yee, Concord, California
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 8 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 4 pickled sweet cherry peppers, chopped
- 1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise and pesto; spread over 4 slices of bread. Layer with ham, basil, peppers, tomato and cheese. Top with remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter.
- Using a large cast-iron skillet or electric griddle, toast sandwiches over medium heat until golden brown and cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes on each side.
Nutrition Facts1 panini: 464 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1701mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Pesto Prosciutto and Provolone Panini in Simple & Delicious April/May 2015