Prosciutto-Pesto Breakfast Strata
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch slice
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto
- 3 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine milk and wine. Dip both sides of bread in milk mixture; squeeze gently to remove excess liquid. Layer bread slices in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- 2. Sprinkle with basil and parsley; drizzle with oil. Layer with half of the cheese, half of the prosciutto and all of the tomatoes; drizzle with half of the pesto. Top with remaining cheese, prosciutto and pesto.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, cream, salt and pepper until blended; pour over top. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, 50-60 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Apr 17, 2017
This was a fantastic Easter Brunch! Big smiles and extra helpings all around! (And went very well with mimosas!) Note: I did make a few little tweaks based on extra ingredients I had on hand, but definitely loved using this recipe as a starter!!!
Dec 31, 1969
Hayley if you want to make this ahead, bake it before you freeze it. Then just reheat it the day you want to serve it.
Feb 15, 2017
Can anyone speak to if this can be frozen? Like if I prepare, freeze it, then a few weeks later thaw, then bake it off?
Mar 29, 2015
Do you use basil pesto green or red tomato pesto??
Looks really good. Want to try it.