Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 2 packages (1-1/2 ounces each) enchilada sauce mix
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (12 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 9 large flour tortillas (9-inch)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese or Mexican cheese blend
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans, warmed
- Taco sauce, sour cream, chili peppers, chopped onion and/or guacamole, optional
- In a saucepan, combine the first 6 ingredients; simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the beef. Drain; stir in one third of the sauce. Spread another third on the bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan or dish.
- Place 3 tortillas over sauce, tearing to fit bottom of pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over tortillas; sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups cheese. Add t3 more tortillas. Spread refried beans over tortillas; top with remaining meat. Sprinkle with 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Layer remaining tortillas; top with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, serve with optional ingredients.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 646 calories, 32g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 1379mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 36g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 16, 2019
I have made this several times, we always enjoy it. My husband loves it!
Jan 27, 2019
To much cheese. Something needs to be added to the meat like taco seansoning to make it more flavorable.
Jan 9, 2019
I was a newlywed when I subscribed to TOH back in late '93/early '94. When I saw this recipe, I clipped it from my issue. I still have the original recipe, and the original husband! After 25 years and 3 children, I continue to make this recipe. Everyone in our home loves it, and it's a treat to sit around our table, adding the extra toppings we each like to our own serving. This is a keeper: if you've not tried it yet, you're missing out! DELICIOUS
Apr 23, 2018
Easy recipe to adapt to your family's different tastes. We like spicy so I added jalapenos!
Feb 9, 2018
Great recipe! Fast, easy and the possibilities for variations is great! My family called it Mexican lasagna! LOL!
Dec 8, 2017
Looked up the recipe for enchilada sauce mix on Google. Made one batch and used the packaged mix for the other envelope. The homemade looked and smelled better and I was able to cut down on the salt by doing this. Offered Greek yogurt instead of sour cream to go with it. Both males in the house added hot sauce and we all used salsa. I also used corn tortillas in the middle layer. I may use all corn another time.
Oct 15, 2017
I have to say that this surpassed my expectations! I almost gave up on making the recipe as written, because I couldn't find the packaged enchilada sauce, and so many people wrote that they used the canned. But I finally looked in the packaged gravy mix area at King Soopers and Walmart, and they both carry it. I make several recipes using canned sauce, and I can tell you that it would hugely change the flavor of this recipe! This is delicious as written! The spice is fairly mild, so my daughter and husband added picante to theirs. My son and I ate it without adding anything, and it was very tasty! Will definitely add to rotation.
Jul 6, 2017
My whole family loved it. I couldnt find seasoning for Enchilada mix. I used 1 28oz can and one smaller can. I mixed the bean and beef layer in the pan before placing it on the Tortilla layer
May 7, 2017
Love the flavor and ease of assembly!
Feb 9, 2017
My family loved this recipe. I knew I had a winner when everyone took seconds and started fighting over who would get the leftovers for lunch. This was easy and versatile (I made a small separate casserole using just beans for my vegetarian). I did jazz up the beef in my main casserole while browning. I added spices like cumin, chili powder, paprika, coriander, diced onion, and garlic. I also added a can of diced tomato with Italian seasoning. I let my family choose their toppings of sour cream, salsa, guacamole, jalape?o, and shredded lettuce. I will definitely be making this dish again.