Oven Sour Cream Omelet
Prepared with flavorful ham and sour cream, this egg mixture bakes up to a fluffy finish. “The recipe was handed down to me from my grandmother, who got it from my great-grandmother,” shares Jennifer Holub of Clarendon Hills, Illinois. TIP: “After baking, slide the omelet onto a warm plate and serve it plain or with applesauce,” Jennifer recommends.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs, separated
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups chopped fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup sour cream and pepper. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into yolk mixture. Fold in ham.
- In a deep ovenproof 10-in. skillet, melt the butter. Add egg mixture. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 6-8 minutes or until bottom is set (do not stir). Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 6-8 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut into wedges. Serve with remaining sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 346 calories, 26g fat (14g saturated fat), 395mg cholesterol, 740mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein.
Originally published as Fluffy Omelette in Quick Cooking September/October 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.