Asparagus Cream Cheese Omelet
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Fill a small saucepan three-fourths full with water; bring to a boil. Add asparagus; cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, 2-4 minutes. Remove and immediately drop into ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sour cream, onion, salt and pepper flakes. In a large nonstick skillet, heat butter over medium-high heat. Pour in egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edge. As eggs set, push cooked portions toward the center, letting uncooked eggs flow underneath.
- When eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains, top one side with cream cheese and asparagus. Fold omelet in half. Reduce heat to low; let stand, covered, until cream cheese is melted, 1-2 minutes. Cut omelet in half before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 omelet: 350 calories, 29g fat (15g saturated fat), 418mg cholesterol, 570mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 19, 2019
I had leftover asparagus so I reheated it for just 30 seconds in microwave before adding it to the omelette. I put the cream cheese in with it to soften it. I used ricotta cheese instead of sour cream because that’s what I had on hand. It was quite delicious, like something you’d have at brunch at a little cafe!
Mar 9, 2018
I have never added any dairy or water, for that matter, to eggs and have them stand up to being folded or rolled in an omelet! But, saying that, these were Very Tasty scrambled eggs except the dried onions did not have a chance to rehydrate and came across as kind of gritty. Am going to experiment with this recipe as "scrambled eggs" by using something other than the crushed red pepper flakes and dried onions. Maybe some hot sauce and some sauteed fresh onions? Also the only asparagus I had was some "leftover" garlic butter asparagus. Yummy!
Jun 2, 2016
This has awesome flavor!! Unfortunately I am horrible at making omelets so it became a scramble of sorts, but we still loved it. I was sad that there weren't any leftovers. I'll have to keep trying to perfect the omelet. I did roast my asparagus in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper instead of boiling it. I just prefer it this way. More flavorful in my opinion. I'll definitely make these again.
Apr 27, 2016
Very good...I loved the addition of the sour cream to the eggs
May 5, 2015
Yum! I didn't have any sour cream on hand though, so I substituted heavy cream and it still came out great.
Mar 19, 2014
I roasted my asparagus in the oven, because I was already cooking several things on my stove. This omelet was easy and tasty. I will remake this.
Apr 8, 2010
This is my first year to be able to use my own asparagus. I was thrilled to find this recipe. It was easy, fast and delicious. I substitued onion powder and sprinkled that and the salt and pepper lightly over the egg mixture before beating. I didn't have a non-stick pan and instead used my cast iron griddle. I would cook the egg mixture at a medium heat next time so it wouldn't brown so much.