- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until browned; drain.
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in.-long spears for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-in. pieces. In a saucepan, cook all of the asparagus in a small amount of boiling water until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a bowl, toss the bacon, onion, asparagus pieces, cheese, flour, salt and pepper. Unroll crust into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Pour bacon mixture into crust. In a bowl, beat eggs and cream; pour over bacon mixture. Top with asparagus spears. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
1 piece: 390 calories, 31g fat (13g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.