Asparagus Swiss Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until browned; drain.
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in.-long spears for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-in. pieces. In a saucepan, cook all of the asparagus in a small amount of boiling water until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a bowl, toss the bacon, onion, asparagus pieces, cheese, flour, salt and pepper. Pour into pastry shell. In a bowl, beat eggs and cream; pour over bacon mixture. Top with asparagus spears. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 390 calories, 31g fat (13g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
May 29, 2020
I've written and submitted this review at least 4 times now, and it just won't submit correctly. Last try. The recipe was very good. I didn't use onion because I didn't have the time to cook them, so I baked the bacon while I prepped the asparagus. I added a 4th egg and some garlic powder, and a combination of Swiss and cheddar cheeses. No pie crusts made, so I made crustless quiche. (I made a second one at the same time, with leftover broccoli and cheddar, also with 4 eggs.) Both were delicious!
May 11, 2020
I made this for Mother’s Day brunch with family and they all liked it very much.
May 26, 2018
This was delicious! Husband loved it, too. I subbed sharp cheddar for the swiss, because it's what I had on hand. I also used the cheddar thyme crust recipe from Chicken Potpie Gallette (also fantastic!), though this recipe is so rich and flavorful it didn't need the extra oomph. This will be a staple every spring when our asparagus comes in.
Jun 3, 2017
I had ham so I used it instead of the bacon. I steamed the asparagus in the micro. Very good.
Apr 9, 2016
Added it to the recipe box for favourites only. :) Will make adjustment by steaming and drying the Asparagus to compensate for a bit of a soggy bottom, however it was superlative all around.
Apr 17, 2014
I will be making this for our Church Easter breakfast . Every time I make this everyone Raves about how good it is !
Mar 17, 2014
Jun 23, 2013
I make a number of different quiche recipes, and this is among the best of them. I use a savory crust recipe with Parmesan cheese in it, which complements the quiche quite well.
May 14, 2010
this quiche is awesome! I make it often and love love love it
Nov 5, 2009
My family loved it! I doubled the recipe to make 2 and was glad I did- all gone very quickly.