Asparagus Swiss Quiche
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until browned; drain.
- Cut eight asparagus spears into 4-in.-long spears for garnish. Cut remaining asparagus into 1-in. pieces. In a saucepan, cook all of the asparagus in a small amount of boiling water until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a bowl, toss the bacon, onion, asparagus pieces, cheese, flour, salt and pepper. Pour into pastry shell. In a bowl, beat eggs and cream; pour over bacon mixture. Top with asparagus spears. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and crust is golden brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 390 calories, 31g fat (13g saturated fat), 124mg cholesterol, 450mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 26, 2018
This was delicious! Husband loved it, too. I subbed sharp cheddar for the swiss, because it's what I had on hand. I also used the cheddar thyme crust recipe from Chicken Potpie Gallette (also fantastic!), though this recipe is so rich and flavorful it didn't need the extra oomph. This will be a staple every spring when our asparagus comes in.
Jun 3, 2017
I had ham so I used it instead of the bacon. I steamed the asparagus in the micro. Very good.
Apr 9, 2016
Added it to the recipe box for favourites only. :) Will make adjustment by steaming and drying the Asparagus to compensate for a bit of a soggy bottom, however it was superlative all around.
Apr 17, 2014
I will be making this for our Church Easter breakfast . Every time I make this everyone Raves about how good it is !
Mar 17, 2014
Jun 23, 2013
I make a number of different quiche recipes, and this is among the best of them. I use a savory crust recipe with Parmesan cheese in it, which complements the quiche quite well.
May 14, 2010
this quiche is awesome! I make it often and love love love it
Nov 5, 2009
My family loved it! I doubled the recipe to make 2 and was glad I did- all gone very quickly.
Mar 8, 2009
The best quiche, I add fresh mushrooms and some diced ham as well.