Creamy Asparagus on Toast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; gradually stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 513 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 207mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Dec 26, 2016
The photo of this recipe looks like my mother made it and I have made it. Basically toast tips underneath an asparagus cheese sauce with sliced eggs on top. However the directions are very unclear. They sound as if you are to make a casserole and serve with toast on the side. In fact it says "serve with toast" not "serve on toast". This recipe sure requires a lot of dirty pans. So...which is it for this recipe?
Sep 2, 2016
This is very tasty. It is easy and makes an elegant brunch. I am quite pleased with it.I did use panko bread crumbs and 4 eggs