Creamy Asparagus on Toast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Transfer to a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; gradually stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with toast.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 513 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 207mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Apr 15, 2018
Next time I will cut up the asparagus, reduce the sauce, and add more eggs.
Dec 26, 2016
The photo of this recipe looks like my mother made it and I have made it. Basically toast tips underneath an asparagus cheese sauce with sliced eggs on top. However the directions are very unclear. They sound as if you are to make a casserole and serve with toast on the side. In fact it says "serve with toast" not "serve on toast". This recipe sure requires a lot of dirty pans. So...which is it for this recipe?
Sep 2, 2016
This is very tasty. It is easy and makes an elegant brunch. I am quite pleased with it.I did use panko bread crumbs and 4 eggs
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.