Avocado Egg Salad Toast
After purchasing far too many unripe avocados for an event, I had a surplus of ripe ones each day in my kitchen for the week after! I was making some egg salad sandwiches for lunch to switch it up on one of these avocado surplus days, and had the great idea to use avocado to bind it together instead of traditional mayo. Not only was this version unbelievably delicious, the healthy fats in the avocado make this a much better option that the traditional mayo-laden version. —Shannon Dobos, Calgary, Alberta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 6 hard-boiled large eggs, chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large slices sourdough bread, halved and toasted
- In a large bowl, mash avocado to desired consistency. Gently stir in eggs, green onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread over toast. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 367 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 280mg cholesterol, 671mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Avocado Egg Salad in Simple & Delicious June/July 2019