Onion lovers are sure to be asking for second helpings of this appetizing tart - it uses two kinds of onions! Parmesan and feta cheese, nutmeg and hot pepper sauce enhance the flavor nicely. With its quiche-like filling, the dish is ideal for a brunch or buffet. -Christine Andreas, Huntingdon, Pennsylvania
Recommended: Recipes Inspired by Beauty and the Beast
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender; cool. In a food processor, combine the eggs, feta cheese, salt, pepper, nutmeg and hot pepper sauce; cover and process until smooth. Gradually add cream and milk; process until blended.
- Brush the inside of crust with mustard. Sprinkle the green onions, chives and sauteed onions over crust. Carefully pour egg mixture over onions. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Onion Tart in Taste of Home August/September 2003, p31
Reviews forOnion Tart
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 23, 2013
"10 out of 10 score!!! Great breakfast meal. I didn't have feta so I used 1/2 cup of Gorgonzola cheese. AMAZING!!!!!"